Tuesday, September 2, 2014

TREATS FROM ALASKA

 



So like I mentioned last time, my parents went to Alaska and sent me these goodies. I have no idea why sourdough bread is important from there but I do like my novelty mezzaluna & bear-claw salad-tossers. (Of course we bought a mezzaluna like... 3 weeks ago, oh well) But below are the goodies and the starter I made last week.

Because of the apple butter I made last week, I really wanted to make sourdough waffles and I am pretty sure at some point I owned a waffle machine but I couldn't find it so I just went for the normal bread. It was super fun and easy to make and turned out DELICIOUS but it is definitely a process! The dough has to double in size twice and then of course our ratty oven had a hard time staying at 475º so the cook time was longer. HOWEVER it has been delicious with my apple butter and tonight I am stealing more tomatoes from work and I am going to have PANZANELLA. I am super excited.

 Don't mind the crusty cookie-sheet. That was only in case the dough spilled over whilst baking. One night we also made tortellini salad with my sundried tomatoes and marinated artichoke hearts. I remembered to take a picture of the sun-dried tomates:
You slice them into half or thirds, press the whole bunch between to paper-towels and weight it for a while. Spread them out on the cookie sheet and cook them at 200º for a few hours. Add a little salt and pepper (no oil) and you can let them go as long as  you like. I like them to get really dried out. Store in the fridge ina dry jar for weeks. (They said you could keep them in oil but if you don't properly can them things can get iffy.) We ended up using ALL of them in the pasta so I DEFINITELY need to make more!

OKAY BYE SEE Y'ALL AROUND

No comments:

Post a Comment